Friday, October 5, 2012

CSA Week 1

I jumped in with both feet and am participating in a local CSA this autumn.  We received our first CSA share September 22nd and it contained one pound bell peppers, one pound hot peppers, half-pound okra, 3/4 pound tomatoes, and a bag of basil.  I would argue that it was at least two pounds of okra.  LOL.

The tomatoes and part of the basil were utilized in Ontario Bean Soup.  I ended up making it late night so didn't have any, but DH enjoyed it and a co-worker of his said it smelled good when he took a second serving for lunch.  It will be made again.

The bell peppers are slated for some beef kabobs, if they don't head south before we get to grilling.

The okra was used in a Sausage and Chicken Jambalaya.  I'll be making the recipe again, without the okra.  I haven't found a dish yet that allows me to enjoy okra.  More proof that I'll never truly be Southern.

The rest of the basil was used in Peach Basil Chicken.  Rather than immediately serving over the chicken per the recipe instructions, I popped the chicken breasts back into the pan on top of the "slop" and let it stew for another twenty minutes or so as I was prepping some crockpot oatmeal for the next morning.  The flavor is FANTASTIC!!  This is going into regular meal rotation and I will continue the accidental practice of stewing it to help infuse the flavors further.  YUM!

The hot peppers consist of poblano, anaheim, jalapeno, serrano, and fish varieties.  I don't do spicy foods---it took me YEARS to be able to handle the red sauce Taco Bell puts on their burritos.  DH enjoys chile relleno occasionally so I prepared my mother-in-law's recipe with the poblano and anaheim peppers.  What to do with the others??

No comments:

Post a Comment